Saturday 20 June 2015

My Small World - Part 1

If you're on Instagram you will probably notice a lot of people are making this beautiful quilt / wall hanging, designed by Jen Kingwell of Amitie Textiles in Melbourne, Australia.



As soon as I saw this picture I knew that I'd like to make this quilt, but I've had to wait months for the Spring Edition of QuiltMania to get to New Zealand.

A few weeks ago I met my friend Anne and our local quilt bookshop, Minerva, and we both purchased our copies of this magazine.



During the time that we had been waiting for the magazine to arrive, we'd already started to see lots of people making the quilt, and even some bog posts with helpful tips and suggestions.  Kerry, from Very Kerry Berry, is running a Quilt a long which is really helpful.  It's always nice to see close up photos of a quilt like this before you embark on it.

I've finished Part 1 now, but it wasn't easy or straight forward.  This isn't a quilt for beginners. There are quite a few places where it helps to have a bit of experience under your belt. A number of us have resorted to foundation paper piecing to keep the triangles in shape.  And as for those tiny pinwheels - they really are tiny. They involve four 1.5" half square triangles!


My Part 1

It's not just the quilting techniques that are challenging, it's also the fabric choices and placements. I made 4 different versions of one block before I had one that I was happy with.  My 3 spare blocks are on the left in the photo below.  They will be incorporated somewhere else in the quilt.  I've resolved not to make any more fabric choices in the evening when it's dark.  It's too hard to see the colours properly and I end up changing my mind in the morning.

The 3 blocks on the left have all been superseded by the green one.

When I finally finished Part 1 I went straight onto to starting Part 2. I haven't finished Part 2 yet, but I had some fabric ideas that I just needed to try out asap.  It looks a bit crazy this close up, but is better when you stand back further.  I decided to start using up a Joel Dewberry jelly roll that I bought last year. I'm also using charm squares where I can.

The start of Part 2 on the left hand side of the photo.

Everyone is commenting on what a mess they are getting into with this quilt. The idea is that you can just use scraps, but of course we all pull out lots of other options just to be sure. I've resorted to using these plastic plates and mini baskets to keep pieces together.

The magazine has both metric and imperial measurements so is a bit confusing.


I'm having lots of fun with this quilt, and it's nice to see everyone else's growing too. People are being very generous with their tips and tricks.


17 comments:

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

I really like your meticulous cutting of sayings that are getting incorporated ("excellent quality"). Knowing how tiny some of the pieces are gives a lot of perspective on the final size of the quilt. The curved piecing toward the left of the finished quilt looks like it is going to take some time!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

it will be nice to see how your version turns out! have fun

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

It's looking wonderful... lots of teeny tiny scrappy fun! I smiled at your 'handmade original' sign, very clever!

Bees Knees Granny said...

Darling--but daunting! From experience I've learned to pick fabrics and cut them only in the morning.

JanineMarie said...

I can see why you were drawn to this quilt right away. It really fits with your colorful, carefree style (even though the actual cutting and sewing isn't care free). As usual, I'm looking forward to seeing your progress.

Pine Valley Quilts said...

What a fun quilt to make ! Can't wait to see more of your progress.

margaret said...

this quilt looks one of the most complicated and fiddly I have come accross. One or two ladies at our MQG are doing it so hope to see how they are doing at the meeting today. Yours is coming along well, this is one I will not be attempting but will just admire those made by everyone else.

Helen@Till We Quilt Again said...

Looks like a fun project! and I am sure you make it sing!!!

Maryse said...

I saw this quilt on Instagram and I have been following your progress, but I didn't realize that “My Small World” was that small (I guess it makes sense ...) I'm curious to know what is the finished size of this quilt?

Beautiful work! :-)

Tawa said...

I've only just picked up the magazine too, so I am resigning myself to completing this one a little after the QAL. I shall follow your progress with much interest. Love your use of "house" fabrics too.

One Wee Bird said...

Looking fabulous Wendy!!

Carol Q said...

I've just become aware of this quilt Wendy - you'd have to be asleep not to notice the interest on the net. Looks like a real challenge but if you like intricacy and detail, what a joy! lol. Yours looks wonderful, such detail. Wish we could see it in real life as I expect the pics don't do it justice.

PaulaB quilts said...

This is one of the most fascinating quilts I have ever seen. I commend you for going for it. What is the overall size? It is hard to tell, but it must include about 100 different blocks. Can hardly wait to see each stage of your progress. Best of luck.

HeathersSewingRoom said...

It is interesting following your progress on this quilt and reading the comments about the pattern. Quilts often look easy when they are all finished and hanging but the reality is often another thing! As you are finding it takes time and thought and your colour and fabric selections are really worth the effort you are putting in. It will be a great quilt and one worth working with to the finish line.

Katharine Yates said...

I have enjoyed seeing these quilts on instagram, but I don't think I'd have the patience for it. So many tiny pieces! I'm looking forward to seeing how yours comes together, it's looking great so far!

Mary Huey said...

It is a charming quilt!!

Lorinda said...

I love seeing all these quilts on Instagram, but I think yours might be my favorite! I LOVE your fabric choices!